LAW CLERK JOB OPENING
JOB TITLE: Law Clerk for Judge(s) of Common Pleas of Tioga County, PA
SUPERVISOR: President Judge George W. Wheeler
DESCRIPTION: Aids and expedites the research on many legal questions presented to the Judges, upon which opposing counsel fails to agree; Prepares initial drafts of opinions; Citations of authority submitted by opposing counsel are checked and briefed by the Law Clerk; Involves performing such other duties as are assigned by the Judge to aid in the orderly disposition of court-related matters.
· Drafts legal opinions for Judge
· Assists the Court Administrator and others in answering legal questions.
· Clearly understands legal concepts as they are presented in Court by the attorney.
· Conceptually analyzes legal argument to assist the Judge in drafting legal opinions.
· Researches either in the Judge’s library, the Law Library, or by other means, the current status of the law in the Commonwealth as well as nationally.
· Read and analyzes parties’ briefs and other documents submitted to the Court.
· Individually keeps apprised of new developments in the law.
· Prepares files for court hearings and jury charges in criminal or civil trials.
· Manages the Law Library
WORKING CONDITIONS: Normal office and Courtroom surroundings
JOB REQUIREMENTS/CLASSIFICATION: Graduate of an accredited college or university, with a degree in Law, and admission to practice before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. Law practice or law clerk experience preferred.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience. Full benefits package.
Please respond to: Randi L. Way, District Court Administrator
Tioga County Courthouse, Court Administration
118 Main Street
Wellsboro, PA 16901
Please include resume, letter or interest, references, and interview availability.
Resumes will be accepted until March 11, 2019.
Administrative Assistant II
Tioga County is currently accepting applications for an Administrative Assistant II. This position will be completing work for the Emergency Services Department. This Administrative Assistant II provides essential office support to the Tioga County Department of Emergency Services (TCDES), which includes the Emergency Management Agency (TCEMA) and Communications Center (TCCC). Work is carried out with a high degree of proactivity, discretion, and attention to detail. The position is best suited for someone who is tactful, courteous, organized and reliable. In addition, the successful candidate will also obtain certifications in PEMA Advanced Level Emergency Management and First Aid and CPR.
· Knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation and arithmetic.
· Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
· Ability to keep moderately complex records, to assemble and organize data, and to prepare reports from such records.
· Ability to make computations and tabulations with speed and accuracy.
· Ability to understand and follow written & oral instructions quickly and accurately.
· Ability to perform basic operations on a computer and type 45wpm.
· Ability to efficiently generate clear, concise and professional correspondence.
· Ability to deconflict multiple schedules in order to identify the most appropriate date/time/place for a meeting.
· Ability to supervise personnel and projects effectively.
· Skill in managing positive interpersonal relationships.
· Extremely proficient in the use of basic office equipment and computer programs including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Publisher.
· Successful completion of a standard public safety background check
· Valid Driver’s License
· High School diploma or G.E.D.
STARTING RATE: $13.00/hour
HOURS: Monday through Friday 0800 to 1630hrs (potential for emergency activation 24/7/365)
Applications can be found on the county website www.tiogacountypa.us on the right side of the screen under the printable forms section (first one) or in person at the Security desk of the Tioga County Courthouse. Please email completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 570-723-8206. Applications can also be dropped off in person at Tioga County Courthouse or Tioga County Department of Emergency Services. For a complete job description with details on the position, please contact the Human Resources office at (570)723-8205.
Applications will be accepted until February 28, 2019
Tioga County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.